Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sally 'n' Starbucks

Starbucks can be a funny thing, I think. Either you love 'em or you hate 'em, it seems... kinda like the Patriots, but that's another story. ;) Anyway, I just wanted to relay a story about Starbucks and a young woman whom I will call "Sally" (for anonymity) that I met there the other day. Now, I'm not that much of a coffee drinker. Mind you, that's not because I don't like coffee - I love coffee... I just don't like what it does to me. My hands get shakey, my heart starts racing, and I just generally freak out about anything and everything. Therefore, I don't drink much coffee.  Thankfully, Starbucks doesn't only offer beverages of the burnt bean variety, so I still venture in and get a something-or-other every once in a while.
The other day, I went to Starbucks just to relax for a little while and do some work on the internet. After entering the building, I proceded to scan the dining room for appropriate seating (I love to sit in one of the cushioned chars in the corner at Starbucks.  If I have to sit at a table, I'd rather just go somewhere else if I'm by myself...).  I found an availible seat with my preferred specifications next to a young woman with a bunch of paperwork and a laptop.  I asked her if she minded if I sat in the chair next to her, and she replied, "Sure, if you don't mind the mess!"  I responded with the fact that I was "living on the road" and didn't mind at all.
"Are you in town for the Superbowl?" she asked.
"No," I said. "I'm a missionary in Ukraine, and I'm traveling around, visiting different churches and sharing about the vision we have for ministry there."
She found this very interesting, as she had some friends that had been missionaries to Ukraine. That opened a door to an amazing conversation about spiritual things.  I asked her what kind of church she went to.  She responded with the fact that she didn't go to church but used to on the north side of Indianapolis.
We eventually got around to the question of, "What do you do with Jesus?"  Her answer was that she wasn't sure.  She thought she believed in Him and in the Bible, but it was because she had been taught that all of her life.  She also basically said that she wasn't living as a "good Christian".
From that, I took her to John 3, where Jesus describes how we get to see the Kingdom of God.  I explained to her that the definition of a Christian in the Bible isn't being a "good person."  It's being born again.  She then asked what that meant, and I took her to Ephesians 2 and told her how we are "dead in [our] tresspasses and sins" and how we need to believe in Jesus Christ for salvation.  I explained to her that, after we believe, we are changed from the inside and then want to do what God wants us to do.  I also gave her a card with my blog address on it.
She allowed me to pray for her later in the conversation about some other things...  Please pray for her.  She has some important decisions to make soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment